Northeast Iowa Reporter & Host
Iowa Public Radio
|Iowa Public Radio
|Northeast Iowa Reporter & Host
|Iowa Public Radio is an award-winning public media organization serving people throughout the state. We have strong relationships with NPR and regional collaborations like Harvest Public Media, Side Effects Public Media and the Midwest Newsroom. We serve our local communities while elevating our reporting for national audiences. And every four years, we have a front row seat for the first-in-the-nation Iowa caucuses.
We’re looking for a journalist with great news judgement, a strong sense of curiosity, and a knack for enterprise reporting to be our next northeast Iowa reporter. Three days a week, you’ll cover an area that includes Waterloo – the region’s largest city and one of Iowa’s most racially-diverse, Cedar Falls – home to the University of Northern Iowa, and smaller cities and rural communities in northeast Iowa.
You’ll also be IPR’s weekend news voice, as host of Weekend Edition Saturday and Sunday. And, you’ll be among our substitute hosts for Morning Edition and All Things Considered.
You’ll join a great team of reporters in four other cities, covering state government, agriculture, health, politics and more. Our reporters have been selected for political and state government reporting partnerships with NPR in recent years, and we’re part of NPR’s new Midwest Newsroom, which focuses on enterprise and investigative reporting.
You’ll get a chance to contribute to and collaborate with the Midwest Newsroom team, bringing original reporting to a regional audience. And we’ll support you in building relationships with NPR editors and landing stories on the network.
The Cedar Falls-Waterloo metro offers lots of opportunities for dining, brew pubs, live music, performing arts and recreation. The Cedar River flows past the cities, and is lined with state and county parks. If you like cycling, the area has a great system of trails, including one that will take you to Cedar Rapids, nearly 70 miles away.
If you’re passionate about impactful journalism, ethics and diversity, are adept at handling multiple projects at a time, and want to be part of a great and supportive team, we’d love to hear from you.
We know there are great candidates who might not exactly fit into what we’ve described here or who have important skills we haven’t listed. If that sounds like you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental and vision, a retirement plan with a 2-to-1 employer match, immediate accrual of vacation and sick time and a flexible work environment.
ANTICIPATED HIRING RANGE:
• $40,000 - $45,000
• One year of experience in a professional journalism environment, including internships;
• Experience working in multimedia platforms, including photographs, video and web platforms; and
• Experience operating or a desire to learn to operate broadcast equipment including audio boards, digital editing systems (e.g. Adobe Audition), field recording units, and other production equipment.
• One year full-time experience as a public radio reporter, anchor, producer, or host; and
• Firm foundation in journalism ethics, news gathering, and reporting techniques.
Apply through the position link: https://iowa-public-radio.oasisrecruit.com/job/579954/northeast-iowa-reporter-host
For full consideration, applications must include the following:
1. A detailed resume.
2. A narrative carefully detailing how your experience compares to the job duties, qualifications, and functions for this position at this organization. The narrative should not exceed two pages.
3. Sample(s) of your work including:
• Scripts for both a spot news and a news-oriented feature story.
• Demo containing one newscast-length story (45-60 seconds), and one feature-length report (3:00-5:00) that you have edited and produced. We’d also like to hear a sample of a newscast (2:00-4:00) you delivered on-air, or recorded for this application. Please upload the demo to Soundcloud or another hosting site and send us the links. If you do not have audio of a newscast available, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for guidance.
• Online content you have produced (please send links). Online content can be a web build-out of a radio story or news content that was designed to be web-only. Please do not send stories you have produced with the help of a national network.
4. Names and contact information, including email addresses, for three work references, including at least one supervisory reference.
Application deadline is 5 p.m. Monday, April 10, 2023.
Iowa Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Discrimination because of race, color, religion, national origin or sex is prohibited. If you believe you have been a victim of discrimination, please notify the appropriate local, state or federal agency.